Sunday, July 6, 2008

Contest and Book Review


Well, folks -- the contest is going along SWIMMINGLY although we have yet to receive any comments or recommendations about other lines that would fit this site. Voting is strong; the only featured line from "Manos" is leading the voting right now.


BOOK REVIEW: For those who can't get enough Ed Wood, I recommend Ed's sin city primer "Hollywood Rat Race". Written circa 1965, this is a slim volume of advice for those who are considering moving to Hollywood to make it big as a movie star. To save you the reading, Ed's advice is: Don't.


I had my suspicions about whether or not Wood had actually written the book. It was published in 1998, four years after the release of the Tim Burton movie -- the "peak" of the Wood resurgence. There is a line in the book that predicts the moon landing "in a few years" (maybe Criswell helped). And there are several odd references to Angora sweaters, which seems to be overdoing it a bit.


But the book is goofy in the right places: Regardless of the subject of the chapter, Wood will interject some story of one of his actor pals that may or may not be relevant. In the chapter called "Hate" (the theme of the chapter is about those snobby "stage" actors who "condescend" to play in pictures) Wood describes a public appearance of Bela Lugosi that he managed late in the actor's career. In the chapter called "How to live without Money in Hollywood", we hear the story of "famous" actor Tom Keene who supplemented his acting earnings by running an insurance agency. Playing roles like Colonel Tom Edwards in "Plan 9", I am not surprised he needed to moonlight.


Wood is also not afraid to plug his work (who can forget "Final Curtain?"), and he refers to himself several times as a "writer". Well, writer he is -- quality aside. If you would like a glance inside Wood's mind, I'll be happy to lend you the book.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I has an idea fo yo t-shirt. "Whuts up wit dese nuts up in my mouth" ! Haw haw, dat iz a good one. Plus I wants to borry yo book. Sheeeeit, not really. Cuz I cant read. Dis little lite of mine.... Signed, Sackmouth

E. Engman said...

Dear Sackmouth,

I'm encouraged that my donation to the Cornerstone schools is going to worthwhile cause.

Your recommendation will be considered for the contest, although I am unsure of its film source.

At any rate, consider yourself rewarded with 50 extra Kroger bux for the effort!

L. jr.

Anonymous said...

Lange,

I don't have an idea for your shirt (I voted for the Manos theme which I think is Excellent!), but I did come up with an idea for a New Year's Eve hat. The front says,"Ol' Lange's Guide. . ." and then the back says "to crummy and hard to find movies". If you say the first part fast, you'll understand the New Year's Eve reference - although, Lange, I'm sure you got that with no need for explanation.

Sadly, I didn't have much time to come up with something better, but I did it mostly for the Kroger bucks. Hope it's worth something.

TLCDB

E. Engman said...

Lady CdB,

Look for an extra 50 Kroger Bux in your Xmas stocking this year -- a brilliant New Year's Hat idea never goes unrewarded on this site!

L. jr.

Friends that help me support this site!